Nirvana Green ~ Mélange ONE Furniture Paint
Nirvana Green ~ Mélange ONE Furniture Paint
Nirvana- a blissful blue green. Photo Credits: Refreshed by Jess, Sand and Silo
This is for our ONE formula (built in primer and topcoat), no sealer needed but may be applied for additional protection.
Mélange ONE Paint is our signature one step (primer, paint and topcoat) furniture paint.
It is zero-low VOC, comes in appx. 95 colors, has an acrylic water-based formula and easy soap/water clean-up.
It includes a primer; however, when painting new/raw/previously stained wood, a stain blocking primer is recommended for tannin blockage.
ONE does not need to be sealed as it has the protective topcoat built right in; however, for high use areas such as dining tables, cabinetry etc., you may use additional primers and topcoats, as preferred to ensure coverage and durability. The finish of this paint has a lustrous sheen; you can really see and feel the protective finish.
Because of the added topcoat we recommend using a high-quality brush, a continuous fine mister bottle for a smooth flawless finish.
- one step
- dries to an eggshell finish
- built in primer (still need to clean!)
- build in topcoat (no need to seal)
- zero to low VOC
- 100% acrylic
- water based
- easy cleanup
- great coverage
- self leveling
- no to minimal brushstrokes (depending on brush quality)
- comes in high-quality clear jars.
- Give the paint a good stir/shake and check to see if the viscosity is to your preference. Some of our mineral formula lighter colors can thicken in the jar; this can be easily corrected by adding a little filtered water to bring the paint to your preferred consistency. Always strain before using in a sprayer. Please note: we recommend that you test any product in a small/hidden area before use. Each project is different, depending on surfaces painted and products used. We recommend using our primers and topcoats where needed. If you use other brands for these products, please test first to ensure no reactions between products.
- Melange One paints can be diluted by 5% and used with a paint sprayer, as well as rolling on with a foam or microfiber roller. Most colors take 2-3 coats for full coverage with the notable exceptions of highly pigmented Bohemian Gold, Bikini Pink, Carbon Black, Tobacco Brown, and Palo Verde Green, which take 4-5 coats for full coverage. Bright whites such as Sonnet and Perfect can also take 4-5 coats depending on surface being painted and if primer is used. For using in a sprayer, you will want to go by the instructions included with your sprayer as they are all different and have varying requirements. There should be information included in the owner's manual about required viscosity and how to test for proper consistency. If no dilution rate are recommend by sprayer manufacturer, start with 5% dilution. After that, test and adjust; it comes down to a matter of environmental conditions, personal preference and technique. You will probably want to practice with a test board or piece to find what works for you. Always strain before using in a sprayer.
- A thorough cleaning of your piece with a degreasing agent, followed by rinsing, and at least a light scuff sanding, then a good wipe down are recommended for best results. If using Melange Anvil Furniture Cleaner there is no need to rinse.
- Our paints are self priming; additional primer is not needed in most applications unless you are painting over an extremely slick surface (for this, sand well and use an adhesion/bonding primer) or painting over a surface with staining or potential bleed through such as raw wood (use a stain-blocking primer for this.) We recommend pairing our primers with our paints. If using other brands, test for compatibility.
- For ONE line: allow 2-4 hours before recoat at temps of 50° or above. For cooler temps, allow more time for drying between coats.
- If it is very cool or damp, the paints can take longer (up to 24 hours) to fully dry before the next coat. To prevent this, paint in a climatized area.
- After applying all coats, lightly sand Mineral Line if desired with a fine grit (220+) to remove any remaining brush strokes. Our paint is self leveling, but some brushstrokes may still remain. A light sanding before sealing will give you a buttery finish after top-coating. ONE paint does not require sanding or sealing.
- Quart (32 oz): Approx 150 square feet.
- Pint (16 oz): Aprox 75 square feet.
- Half-Pint (8 oz): Approx 35 square feet.
- Sample (1 oz): Approx 2 square feet.
Our ONE paint does not require sealing as it has topcoat built in for a lustrous finish. You can add additional protection by top coating with wax, poly, etc. if desired for high use pieces such as tabletops and cabinetry.
Keep the paint from freezing temperatures (do not store outside or in non-climatized areas as paints do not have an anti-freezing agent added). Wipe rim clean, and tightly screw lid back on after use. Opened paint will store for approx. 1 year, unopened paint can store indefinitely. Do not add unfiltered water directly to jar, decant into different container and dilute with filtered water.
20-45 days for full cure.
All of our paints and products are soap and water clean up. Note: do not use Dawn dish soap to clean Stain Blocking Primer from brushes. To remove paint (wet or dry) from surfaces it may have accidentally gotten onto, use soap and water clean up and gentle blotting and/or scraping depending on the surface type and age of spill.